Saturday, July 23, 2011

Syllabus

For 7/13/11: What can we expect in this course
TLW ask questions to clarify the meaning and purpose for our course.

Reading with meaning: Questions before, during and after reading.

July 13
Reading questions/reading assignment

Questions I have before reading
Answers
1.      What is this course all about?
2.      How much homework will we have?
3.      Do I have the texts or other materials that I need?
4.      Will there be other reading materials on BB?
5.      How much will the texts be used?  Will I feel like I have wasted my money for just a little bit of reading?
6.      How long is the course?
7.      Are there any projects, research papers, or other big assignments?
8.      Rubric?
3. Yes, I do
7. Yes, presentation, reflections, projects
4. Yes, supplemented on BB
8. Provided
6. Wow, 3 semesters!
5. Extremely little in summer semester, don’t know about the other 2 semesters.
1. Preparing us to be pros at facilitating learning environments that include standards, student motivation, promotes effective learning by teaching styles and addressing student needs, trusting, respectful classroom atmosphere.  Gives us the necessary tools in our learning process and build upon the.


Questions I have during reading
Answers
1.      Wondering what prevention is in the rubric?
2.      What is critical incident?
1.      Describe which classroom management model(s) that we have researched best fits your beliefs, values, experience and the students  you expect to work with.
Questions I have after reading
Answers
I am concerned with the amount of work and the amount of time available to complete it all in the best form possible.  It seems to against the pedagogy that college of ed. teaches which is not to give so much work and new material that is too overwhelming.  It seems like it is very quantity based while wanting the best quality at the same time.  How can we produce the best products possible when we have to prioritize the time we can expend between the many time-consuming, scattered assignments?  I can tell you that this shows me what I will not do in my classroom.   
 I understand now, after conversations with you, about why you are doing things the way you are doing it.  Priorities that we need to learn to set, come back to things later when you can, help to prevent teachers from getting burnt out and helping us to recognize the signs in the paths that we choose to take.


I posted any unanswered questions that I found helpful in understanding the purpose of the course in Discussion Board.

Engagement level: 2  Sorry, this was a boring assignment, lol.

1 comment:

  1. Frequently students respond in a similar fashion when asked to understand the course syllabus, I wonder how one would make this important document more engaging for students?

    ReplyDelete