Sunday, July 24, 2011

Reading Groups: What Should We Share?

Chapter 1 introduces 3 views of classroom management:
1.  Classroom management as discipline: The teacher is responsible for maintaining classroom control, discipline comes before instruction, and consequences must exist for inappropriate behavior.
2.  Classroom management as a system:  Classroom management is systematic, management and instruction are interworven, there is a focus on the building of learning communities, and planning is essential.
3.  Classroom management as instruction:  There is a focus on teaching prosocial skills, the goal is to establish habits of peacemaking, schoolwide programs teach skills of conflict resolution and peer mediation, and teachers help students make ethical judgments and decisions.

We read and discussed chapters 2 and 3 which were behaviorism and assertive discipline (management as discipline.

Following is what I posted on discussion board from my readings of chapters 1 and 3:

I am not one who supports an authoritarian viewpoint, though assertive discipline was not quite as harsh as the name sounded like (but then I guess it depends upon the teacher).  Still, I didn't like the idea of putting students' names on a board for negative behavior for everyone to see all day long (some could be embarrassed or ashamed, others may be proud--for attention).  But as I was reading, I was wondering how one could maintain control of a classroom without having a list of rules with consequences and rewards.  In chapter one it discusses classroom management as a systematic approach with solid instruction and a purposeful learning environment that keeps the students engaged in hands-on activities or group discussions that are interesting which are contributing factors to success.  I want to learn how to effectively manage a classroom (maintain control--if that is the correct term as I actually don't want to "control" students) while not being authoritarian.  It sounds like there are still rules, rewards and disciplines, and this style lacks the teaching of prosocial behavior and self-regulation that could go even further.  I do feel there has to be an understood classroom etiquette that needs to be respected in order to have an optimal learning environment, but the children need to be seen and not heard mentality disgusts me. I want them to feel comfortable asking questions, discussing material with each other, learning from each other, etc.

What I found most important in chapter 3 was  that a solution to working with problem or difficult students is to establish a positive relationship with them.  Canter (2010) states that establishing a positive relationship with students can reduce disruptive behavior by up to 50 percent.  Part of this is getting to know your students on a personal level, contacting students and parents before school begins to begin a welcoming, positive relationship, and attend extracurricular activities that show you are interested which offers students the opportunity to talk to you about things they do or are interested in.  I agree that assertive discipline does nothing to find the cause or treatment for misbehavior, it merely treats the symtoms (with discipline).  Misbehavior could be occurring as a result of stresses such as child abuse, malnourishment, rejection, insecurity, loneliness, and emotional distress.  A caring teacher can help.

Here's the thing:  I believe that many of children's/adolescent behaviors are a result of how they have been raised and their experiences.  I never really had to use an authoritative disciplinary style with my boys.  They are respectful, caring of other people's thoughts and feelings (including mine and vice versa), responsible, and never acted out in school.  And to the most part they did not act out at home with a few exceptions with my oldest son (and those were nothing major--just trying to exercise/anty up his independence).  I can honestly say that school teachers continually told me how good my sons were, and I continue to hear it on gatherings with friends and family (graduation, etc.).  So I would like to use a different method than authoritarian, because I know that repect, closeness, and praise can go a long way.  But I will be beginning with students who have had their own experiences that may be completely opposite of my own practices, so I am curious how far I can get with them with my style and earn their trust.  How long would it take to earn that trust???

Engagement level: 7

2 comments:

  1. I really like your deep consideration of these methods of creating a learning environment. I also agree that there needs to be clearly identified classroom expectations in a class.

    As I read your post, I got the impression that class expectations/rules are only used in authoritarian classroom. Was that an accurate interpretation?

    Finally, you identified a key difference between K-6 and 7-12 classes. From my experiences, most high school students want to trust their teacher(s). Where it becomes difficult for some teachers is finding the professional distinction between being trusted and being friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Initially, it was my impression that rules were authoritarian. That is not my impression now after doing more reading, and the First Day of School textbook has reinforced this for me. I think I was making rules and discipline (punishment) synonymous, which was inaccurate. The ECM text wasn't clear on there being a difference. But I knew in my heart that students (all people) need to understand that there is a consequence for actions as good will and prosocial motivation is not always enough. I just didn't know how to put this together in my mind and words without it sounding authoritarian in nature.

    What if I began with asking the students what they think would be good rules in the classroom to optimize learning, a comfortable and respectful atmosphere, and what some of the consequences would/should be? This allows them to feel empowered and as if they have had choices in the matter of how the classroom should be and how it is run. This will help them to not view me as another teacher who cares more about rules than about them.

    I would also have my own rules to add to the list if they do not come up with them on their own. Then it is a collaborative, shared effort of a set of rules that "we" came up with and "we" will follow.

    Furthermore, as shown with the "A Piece of Us" workshop, how the first day of class is conducted and what it includes sets the tone for the class as well as students' perceptions of it and of the teacher. If you begin with a list of rules....well, that in itself sets a tone and sends a strong message. There needs to be a balance and a level of comfort, thus discussion and collaboration sets a good first tone and impression.

    Also, I have already considered your comment about the fine line between a trusting relationship and as that of a friend. That boundary needs to be kept separate. One can be friendly, but a friend is not what they need from a teacher. As you said in one of our conversations, a frienship can be established well after they have graduated. Students' expectations, feelings, type of respect, and even motivations may change if they view you as their friend instead of a friendly, caring teacher.

    ReplyDelete