Thursday, July 28, 2011

First Day, Classroom vision: What might my first day look like?

TLW post on blog the initial image of my first day in my future classroom.

My most memorable first day of school was in 7th grade.  I remember being scared and nervous because I moved to a new town for the first time where I didn't know a soul.  Not only did I not know any students or teachers, but I had to go to different classrooms for each class, and I remember a science class being in a lab that seemed cold (atmosphere) and uncomfortable.  I remember black and white, no other colors in the room.  The people and the room were cold, and I didn't like it.  The teacher did nothing to make me feel welcome.  There was nothing positive (in my mind) in this room, and it didn't improve.  Thankfully, we moved after being there about a month.  In fact, we moved far away from that room to Montana where my next first day was much better.  This puts in mind the fact that students can play as big of a role as the teacher in creating a comfortable atmosphere for another student.  And recognizing that as a teacher can help me to teach students to be warm, friendly, and respectful to others because it is the right/kind thing to do.

The first day would consist of the students getting to know me and me getting to know them.  My initial concern is setting the stage for a welcoming, warm atmosphere that encourages communication.  I want students to get the idea that I have a personal interest in each of them, and most importantly that I am approachable.  If they feel I am approachable and non-judgmental, they will be more likely to ask questions throughout the year when they are struggling with concepts or hopefully, from stimulated curiosity.  I may even take pictures of the class or groups in the class with each holding their names in front of them so that I can practice learning their names more quickly at home.  Another idea might be to pass out an index card to everyone where they each list their name, favorite hobby or activity, favorite subject in school, favorite book, favorite snack or drink, favorite store to shop at, number of siblings, and the one person (dead or alive) they would most like to meet.  I might even ask how much they think they will like biology, and how important they think school is to their future on a scale of 1-10 (I wonder how honest they would be?).

I moved a lot when I was in junior high and high school, not only to different towns, but to different states.  I know what it is like for new students who begin classes not knowing anyone.  I remember how a teacher can make the experience warm and welcoming  or seem cold, distant, and uncaring.  The teacher can set the tone the first day for what is to come.

If there is time remaining after introductions, discussion, and filling out cards, I would share with the students what they can expect from me and from the class.  I would begin with the importance of respect towards everyone and the importance of organization.  I would tell them that they need a notebook, folder and binder for each class to keep classes separate.  I would pass out a small piece of paper to each student asking: 1) do you have these materials for our class?, 2) are you able to purchase the materials immediately for this class?, or 3) are you unable to purchase the materials for this class?  If they are unable, then I will do my best to purchase the materials they need.   I would explain to them that they will always be prepared for what is coming up (no surprises) because I will have organized for them a list of learning targets that they will always have at hand, and will continually remind them of what is due and when.  I will have constructed a rubic that they (and their family) can follow (with learning targets), explain the idea of putting together a portfolio for each student as we go along for self-assessment of what they need work on and what they have learned,  and that all of them can learn and will and I will do my best to help them.  This last portion would probably spill over into the second day, so this is my vision of the first couple of days of school.  Hopefully, Vlad will be in agreement with this vision since we will be working together.

Steve Rierson asked, "What types of daily routines/procedures would be beneficial in assisting learners to become more organized as well as setting up the daily atmosphere in the class?"    As mentioned above, I would have a learning target rubric for them, ensure they have the materials they need, continually remind them of what is due and when, and perhaps have a running list on the board that shows what we will be doing that day and what we will be covering the following day so they can always see one day ahead what they can expect for certain.  I may also have a tentative weekly plan (list) of topics at the beginning of each week (with the idea that we may not get to all of them if we need to spend more time in a certain area).  I would also have a hole puncher in the class so they can insert important papers into their binders to keep them in order.  I might also purchase folders for each student's portfolio to keep these separate from the rest of their papers.  Ultimately, it is up to me to be organized and prepared in order to help keep them organized and prepared, and routines should be fairly consistent to maintain order, functionality, and effective teaching and learning.

Engagement Level: 10

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first day sounds pretty well planned out. I notice in the last two paragraphs you state that you will be doing a lot of things, which makes me wonder what the students will be doing or responsible for?

    ReplyDelete